There are two kinds of satsuma-jiru: one is Kagoshima’s and the other is Ehime’s. This one is a Kagoshima version – hot miso soup with chicken and vegetables.
Although the recipe is very similar to that of Tonjiru, its taste is quite different.
- Soak dried shiitake in cold water until soft. Then take out shiitake to slice. This water is to be used as dashi, so don’t throw it away.
- Peel all vegetables. Cut daikon radish and carrot in quarter-rounds. Cut eddoes and chicken in bite size pieces. Slice burdock root and konnyaku. Dice namaage.
- In a pot, add water, the water used to soak shiitake and the ingredients explained above (2). Cook until soft. Remove the scum.
- Add miso paste and turn off the heat.
- Serve in a bowl. Top with chopped chive and grated ginger.