On a cold day, I feel like making local dishes of the Northern Japan where there are lots of wisdom to survive the freezing winter.
So I made Damako-nabe, a Japanese hot pot with small rice balls which is originated in Akita where it snows a lot in winter.
Ingredients: Cooked rice (japonica rice), 300g chicken thigh, 1/2 burdock root, 1 bunch of seri (Japanese parsley), 1 bag of shirataki (noodles made from konnyaku), 1 bag of atsuage (fried tofu block), 1 banch of maitake mushroom, green onions, soy sauce, sake, mirin
- Make small rice balls – mash cooked rice and make small rice balls. It gets easy if you soak your hands in salt water each time you make a ball.
- Slice burdock root and cut other ingredients in bite size pieces.
- Add water, burdock root and chicken in a pot and cook.
- Flavor with soy sauce, sake and mirin, as you like.
- Add other ingredients and eat when it’s cooked.